Monday, June 6, 2011

Do I Really Want to Call Them That?

My favorite sins.....

Ever heard that phrase? I heard it again yesterday. I'd heard it before, but for some reason yesterday I started really thinking about it. Those words don't seem to belong together, at least not if you are wanting to be a good person. Sin is a no-no. It's bad. I'm trying to be good, so why would have have a favorite something that identifies me as bad? What exactly does it mean to me?

Everyone sins.... day in.... day out.... we goof.... we blunder.... we get lazy.... we get defiant just a little.... we ignore the pricklings just this once.... okay, I say we but I can really only speak for me.... but I certainly am not alone in this. Am I?

I had thought about listing a few of my "favorite sins" here, but then decided against it. That really should remain private between me and the Lord. But I definitely have some. Not huge, "oh my gosh I can't believe she does that!" kind of sins. But does that really matter? Sin is sin, it only takes one to separate me from my Father.

What is sin? My definition is simply something I do that turns me away from God. Something I do that shows I am less than perfect. And boy am I less than perfect! Yet, He is perfect and cannot and does not abide in imperfection. But instead of looking "down his nose" at me, He reaches out to lift me up, when I let Him. How do I let Him? I take advantage of His gift of the Atonement.

And the most incredible part to me is that my part is so simple.... not necessarily easy at times, but always simple. All I have to do is admit I did wrong, desire to not do it again and mean it, and ask forgiveness. That second part is where the "favorite sins" make it not so easy at times. I need help in getting rid of the "favorite" part so that I can get rid of the "sin" part. He helps with that as well, isn't that incredible too?!

Oh, how I am grateful for the Atonement! Without it there would be no motivation to keep going. I think I would have given up a long time ago. I feel a sadness in my heart for those who do not understand how wonderful it is. That our Father loves us so much that He gave us this incredible gift to make it possible to be united with Him forever. That our Elder Brother loves us so much that he gave his very life to rescue us.

Do I believe that both my Father in Heaven and my Savior Jesus Christ know me by name? That the relationship is that personal? That they know me, my weaknesses, and yes, my favorite sins and still love me and want me back?

The answer is a resounding YES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment