Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I HATE TESTS!!!!!!!

I woke up this morning feeling very nervous. I was fretting again. My body was actually shaking!!

I've been doing that a lot lately.

Feeling anxiety, worried, almost paralyzed.

What could be causing me so much negativity?

A test. A lousy 35 question Knowledge Test for the Oregon DMV!!! I've put that test off for months.... many months....But election day is coming up and I needed to get my residency changed so I could register to vote. Oregon requires all new residents to take this test, no matter how long they have been driving or whether or not they had taken the Oregon test before. In my case I had, since I began my driving career in Oregon. It is my civic duty to vote, and my duty to God, so therefore, I needed to get the test behind me.

I thought about that test and couldn't eat... couldn't sleep.... couldn't think.

I read the manual.......all 113 pages of it. But dang if I couldn't remember what I had read!!

I took the online 10 question test and got only 7 right! I failed the practice test!! I really hate tests.

When I was first in college, I took a course on how to go to college. I fretted over that class too. The instructor laughed at me, said I needed to give myself more credit... I passed the final exam (the only one) with 100%. Maybe I should remember his words more.

I fretted over the Nutrition course I took too. I passed that course with a 99% and got on the Dean's list. I now have a certificate in Holistic Nurtition, officially a Nutritional Consultant. I can put NC after my name if I want. I did very well, but I still doubt myself.

I really prayed this morning for help. I would be needing Divine help in a big way. Today was the day I was going to take that test!

All in all, I spent 3 hours at the DMV today. The first half was spent waiting to take the test. Finally, my turn...

I asked for a paper test, not the computer one. There were more people taking the paper test than the computer one, so I was glad I wasn't the only one who wanted to take it that way. I guessed at a few of the answers, but was confident with most of them that I knew the right answers.

When I was done, I gave the worker my test and sat down. I watched him score a test, I thought it was mine, but he kept crossing off answers. I thought, how could I have missed so many??? Then he called a teenage girl to the counter... Whew!! It wasn't mine... She failed...

I continued to wait. Someone who had taken the computer test finished and he took care of her.... I still waited. He started to score another test, then got interrupted again.

Dang!! The suspense was about killing me!!

Finally, uninterrupted, he scored the next test.... He only marked 2 wrong.... I really hoped that was my test! I prayed it was MY test. Yes, I really did pray that it was my test...

Then he called my name!!!! Oh, the joy of hearing my name at the DMV!!

I got a 94%. I asked him which ones I missed... He smiled and said, "I know, pride." No, I honestly was curious... He said "you did very well, so don't worry about it." Then he smiled and took my $60.

I am now officially an Oregon resident. The last thing I had to change to put Arizona behind me. And before I left the DMV office, I filled out the voter registration card. Two birds with one VERY LARGE STONE!!

I want to celebrate. I'm kinda wishing I had a guy to call to go out to dinner with. Hmmmm...

1 comment:

  1. We need to go out to lunch to celebrate your victory!! I hate tests too. We have a group of ladies from our ward who go out to lunch every month. We would love to have you join us. We're having lunch TOMORROW at the Beaverton Olive Garden at 11:30. Hope you can join us on such short notice. I'll send you a message on Facebook also just in case you don't see this.
    Sharon Wilkins

    ReplyDelete