Thursday, March 4, 2010

When Tiff got home last night she had a pizza in her hands... Papa Murphy's pizza... I love Papa Murphy's pizza. It used to be Papa Aldo's many years ago, and I still think of it that way sometimes. But it sold and the new owner changed the name. It is a large pizza chain, probably in several states. But not in Arizona.



Papa Murphy's is a take-and-bake pizza shop. Very popular here. I looked for a take-and-bake when I first moved to Arizona and found out they didn't exist. It didn't take me long to figure out why. Heat. It is very hot in the desert valley. When it is 100+ at 7am, you don't want to be heating your oven up for dinner. So in Arizona, you let someone else do the baking.

Back to the pizza... Tiff went into the kitchen, heated up the oven and put that beautiful pizza in. The aroma of Hawaiian pizza filled the air. A wonderful pizza I couldn't eat. I wasn't even tempted. But it sure smelled good.

It was with pizza that I finally gave up wheat. I was living in Mesa, Arizona, still married, and my son, Chris, brought some pizzas over for dinner. I LOVE PIZZA!! I figured I could eat a little bit, as long as I was careful. Four slices later (not being so careful) I was in dire pain. Up to that point I had never been so sick from eating wheat. Maybe a little intestinal discomfort & time in the bathroom, but that was all. Oh yea, and a bit of irrational thinking for a day or two... But it wasn't enough to burn a change in me. This time it literally took me four days to recover. I couldn't leave the house... I was mostly curled up in the fetal position groaning... I couldn't think clearly at all... I finally learned my lesson. And this time the lesson has stuck.

So, with the pizza baking in the over, I decided to get that cornbread I was thinking of making... made.



I found a recipe on a blog for gluten-free cornbread I could use butter with, and then decided to make it into a meal.

So I lined the pan with a can of black beans, corn, onions and a little too much chili powder. Then I topped it with the cornbread. It took longer to bake than the recipe said, but, besides the too much chili powder, it was good. Not a pizza, but still a good meal.



As usual, I modified the recipe. I just don't seem to be able to not tweak it a little. I will post the recipe for the gluten-free flour mix when I get it right. Michelle has my mill right now, so I can't grind more brown rice flour and being A.D.D. I forgot to write down what I did last time.

Beans and Cornbread

1 cup milk
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil (I used butter)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup,agave syrup, or honey (I used agave)
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup brown rice flour or gluten-free flour mix (I used the mix)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum (omit if using gluten-free flour mix, it already has it in it)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I use celtic sea salt)

Beat together first four ingredients. Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Pour in wet ingredients and mix until just moistened. Set aside.

1 can black beans
1 cup frozen corn
1 medium onion, chopped
chili powder to taste (but not too much)
sea salt to taste

Drain black beans and pour into an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan. Spread it out evenly. Top this layer with the corn, then onion. Finally sprinkle the chili powder and salt on top. Pour the cornbread mix over the top of all. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes. The original recipe said 25 minutes, but it took mine about 45 minutes to be done.

I found the original recipe here: www.celiac.com

1 comment:

  1. Sandy, do you mind if I post some of your recipes on my recipe site? See: http://www.aftershockweb.net/recipes/ (email me if you would like an account to add them your self)

    ReplyDelete