Monday, May 17, 2010

A Day at the Beach....


We went to the beach on Saturday. More specifically, Seaside, Oregon. It takes about an hour and a half or so to get there, and we had enjoyable conversation all the way there and back. It was nice to be able to discuss our testimonies of the Savior and the Gospel with each other, and the blessings we have received in our lives.


Once we got there, we discovered that a lot of other people had the same idea as we did, the streets were packed. An advantage to being disabled is to have one of those "disabled parking" placards. So we found parking fairly easily.


The sky was overcast, but it was still warm enough for me. It was beautiful there. I'm not sure I have ever been there with the beach so crowded. Usually, when I've been to the beach there have been maybe a dozen or two other people out there. This day there were hundreds! We even saw sun bathers there, which with the sun behind the clouds, I am wondering why??


After lunch we headed for the Seaside Candyman. This is a salt water taffy store like no other. They make 170 different flavors! There is salt water taffy, then there is the Candyman salt water taffy. The sign on the door says "Best & Biggest Salt Water Taffy Shop West of the Rockies!" I believe it is true. It has become a tradition in my family to visit The Candyman whenever we visit Seaside. So we headed down the street towards the store.

I was trying to be conservative with my selections, and ended up with about a pound and a half of taffy. My favorite flavors are black licorice - always black licorice first! Then pumpkin pie, peanut butter, cinnamon, and black widow (licorice and hot cinnamon). After I get my favorites, I take a few here and a few there, trying new and "exciting" flavors. Danny showed me his bag, with twice as much. But Bridgette beat us all! Her bag cost nearly $20 and it had to be 5 lbs at least. I know my bagful will last quite a while, I hope her children let it last for at least a month!

You don't have to go to Seaside to enjoy their incredible salt water taffy. The website is www.seasidecandyman.com ... go in, take a look around... if you like salt water taffy, you will love this salt water taffy.




After the Candyman, we got Tillamook ice cream cones and headed back to the beach. Another family tradition is to actually go in the water. It doesn't matter what time of year. When we are at the beach, we MUST go in the water! And as usual, it was COLD. But not as cold as the North Sea... After a short while, you really don't feel the cold anymore.


Danny took Penny, his dog, with us. Penny hates water... Let me rephrase that... Penny HATES water. She had never been on a beach (landlocked AZ dog) and had certainly never seen the ocean. She didn't know what to think of it, but the look in her eyes was something like "Are you crazy?? You want me to go where?? And do what??" It was funny. Danny finally carried her out into the surf till it was waist high for him (he is 6'4", so it was several feet high) and threw her in. I think after the initial shock, she decided she liked it. But she kinda smelled after that, you know, wet dog and all...


After a long afternoon, we headed home. It was a fun day, a day spent with a few of my children that I dearly love. A day spent at a place I love to visit. Next time we go to the beach, I want to go to Ecola Park... and Cannon Beach... Anyone out there game??

1 comment:

  1. I hope I have made the right connections to comment.You really do write well. I never knew a trip to the beach could be so interesting.
    I too am a list maker and have been known to put things on the list already done that day. I wish I would make a journal of them in order to go back to them and view how similar or different each day can be.

    ReplyDelete