Friday, May 14, 2010

Time For A List...

I'm a list person... when I get stuck and can't figure out what to do, I need a list.

I used to write out really detailed lists. I would break down the chore into minute sections. It seemed the only way I would actually accomplish the goal:
1. stack bowls
2. stack plates
3. gather glasses
4. wash bowls
5. rinse bowls
6. wash plates
7. rinse plate
8. wash glasses
9. rinse glasses
etc.

I'm serious, my lists were that detailed. I loved crossing out each item when it was complete. Of course, I was a lot younger then, I was a kid. But the need for lists has not lessened.

Now I have been known to write my list with a few things already done, so I can start out with a few crosses. I guess I need that immediate award, it gives me the feeling I am making progress in my day, even as it is just starting. I even put things on like - take vitamins - or - read my scriptures - or even - eat breakfast! Because really, I seem to forget to eat sometimes.

You know when I have forgotten to eat... I get crabby. Really crabby... Sorry for biting your head off, I just needed to eat and your head got in the way. Opps!

Sometimes I have been known to skip over things on my list... I save it for the next day... and the next... and the next... obviously I don't want to do this thing I keep putting off. So I make a rule. I can only pass a chore off 5 times before I have to do it. That gives me almost a week to overcome the procrastination. The trick is, to have gotten myself to the point that I am willing to put it ON the list, knowing once I do, I have to do it. I've had things float around in my head for weeks or even months, not quite making it to the list...

At the end of the day, if my list is mostly crossed off, I feel I have had a productive day. If I've managed to cross off something that has been on the list for several day, wow! I really feel good about my day!

I've gotten out of the habit of making my list. My days have not been very productive. With the moving... and the moving again... and then again... I have been burned out. I have come to really relate to the word "weary".

We've been in our new home for a week now. I am beginning to feel a bit settled in. I think it is time to bring out the notepad and start making my list again.

2 comments:

  1. I Love lists too! Not as detailed as yours but nevertheless... I too, love being able to cross off things. I hate looking at the list and not being able to cross things off. I actually have written things on my list that I know are done and yet write it so I can get the satisfaction of crossing something off! Silly, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lists aren't so detailed now, unless I'm feeling really stressed and I want a lot to cross off! lol ... It's nice to know someone else "cheats" on the list, writing it down after it's done, just to get the satisfaction of crossing it off!

    ReplyDelete