Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gratitude and Regrets...

I've already written about both subjects, but I lately have been thinking of them together.

Is is possible to regret something but at the same time, be grateful for the blessings received in connection with the regrettable decision? I'm not saying blessings received from the decision, but rather, blessings received as a result of addressing the regrettable decision.

In looking at decisions I have made in the past, I have realized that most, if not all of them, were based to some degree on experiences of my past. What happened to me yesterday will have an impact on the decisions I make today and tomorrow.



Since my past was not full of rainbows and lollipops, neither have my past decisions. I chose wrong, twice, in who I chose to marry. Yet I have to wonder, were they all that wrong? Each marriage brought a lot of heartache, but also, because of how I chose to deal with the heartache, I have become a better person. I allowed the Lord to work that heartache into learning experiences. With that learning came healing, not only pertaining to the present circumstance, but also my past. Dealing with my poor decisions made by me as an adult, have given me healing for the bad things that happened to me as a child. Besides that, I got 6 incredible children from my first marriage that I would not trade for anything.

I think the bottom line would be this: Nothing is impossible with God. No matter how we blunder our lives, He has the power to fix it, to heal it, and to mold us into greatness despite it.

Sidenote: I choose to not post pictures of my ex-husbands on this blog. I'm not sure if there could be legal backlash, I really don't want to deal with something like that. Instead, this picture is on my first wedding day, March 14, 1979, in Idaho Falls, ID, with my parents. I was still 18 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment